Right out of my favorite cookbook Against All Grain, these 7 layer bars are a hit!
All the labor has a satisfying payoff. Each layer requires separate preparation, but all parts come together to create one amazing treat!
PREP TIME: 60 mins COOK TIME: 45 mins TOTAL TIME: 105 mins
Makes 1 dozen bars
1/2 cup honey
1-1/2 tablespoon palm shortening or ghee
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1∕3 cup plus 1 tablespoon coconut flour
1⁄4 cup almond flour
1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 tablespoon honey
1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1⁄2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch sea salt
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
1 tablespoon coconut milk
3 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons coconut butter
6 tablespoons coconut milk
2 tablespoons honey
1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
1⁄4 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
1⁄4 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- Make the caramel sauce. Bring the honey to a low boil in a deep saucepan over medium-high heat. Simmer on medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes, swirling the pan occasionally to ensure even browning and a dark amber color. Remove from heat and carefully whisk in the palm shortening, coconut milk, and salt. Return to heat and continue cooking for 15 minutes. Cool to room temperature. Do not under cook, carmel will be too runny.
- Make the crust. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the crust ingredients in a bowl and mix until a dough forms. Press the dough into an 8-by-8-inch ovenproof dish. Bake for 10 minutes. remove and cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Make the ganache. Melt the chocolate slowly over a double broiler or in a bowl set over a pot of simmering water. stir in the milk and honey. spread the chocolate mixture over the crust.
- Drizzle cooled caramel sauce over the chocolate layer. sprinkle chopped walnuts over the chocolate layer.
- Sprinkle chopped walnuts over the chocolate layer.
- Make the coconut cream. Place the coconut cream ingredients in a small bowl, whisk, and then drizzle over the walnuts.
- Sprinkle shredded coconut over the cream layer.
- Finish with a layer of chocolate chips.
- Place the bars in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes, then refrigerate for 1 hour to set. cut into 12 even bars.