This is Rae Ann and today I am going to be telling y’all about some alternatives that you can use in your every day diet to help supplement those certain foods that you’ve developed an allergy to.
The whole focus of this blog is based off of almonds, coconut and dark chocolate; these are some of the staple items for people with gluten intolerances, paleo lifestyles and people just looking to trade junk for something healthy AND delicious.
Here’s a brief list of certain must haves for your pantry, here is an extended list for the paleo lifestyle:
- Coconut Oil- this can be used for just about anything. You can use it as hair masks, skin moisturizer, sweetener for smoothies, butter alternative in baking and so much more! It’s amazing on popcorn and in chocolate chip cookies!
- Agave Nectar- with the exception of Stevia, this is the best sugar/honey substitute I’ve found. It’s sweeter than sugar but is much healthier. It comes straight from a plant so it’s almost always all natural, typically organic and definitely vegan.
- Coconut flour/Almond meal- some sort of flour substitute. These are both amazing alternatives. My favorite brand is Bob’s Red Mill. This brand is carried just about anywhere which is awesome and depending on what you buy, it is probably Gluten Free.
- Dark Chocolate- Just because you’re eating better doesn’t mean you have to give up the sweets! There are tons of recipes that can work with complicated diets and using dark chocolate makes the recipe significantly better for you. Enjoy life is the best kind of chocolate if you’ve got a finicky stomach.
- Almonds- Though I personally cannot eat almonds, they are very good for you! A great source of protein almonds are an awesome snack and filler for when you don’t have time to stop and eat. HEB has a great “healthy living” department that offers all sorts of different types of almonds. Almond Butter is also really great. Most grocery stores offer it freshly ground.
It’s so important to stock your pantry with these alternatives to make transitioning to this lifestyle easier. I was blessed with blogs to help break down what I could and couldn’t eat so I hope this list makes your first trip to the grocery store a breeze!